Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Daniel's Birth Story-- Part 1

As I consider where I fall in line with the modern day practices of labor and delivery, I'd say I walk a fine line between knowledge and ignorance. My awareness has certainly peaked more and more as each pregnancy takes on a new meaning in my life. How do I approach sickness, health, daily living, our home environment?


 Certainly I want what is best for baby and momma. But, am I willing to take the plunge, into an ever decreasing number of mothers who choose natural labor without any intervention, to better the chances of a healthy child? Sadly today most women say "no thanks" and "give me the drugs" and I fall right in line with the statistics!


This third pregnancy has been crazy from the get-go! One--being that my husband was unemployed, a full-time college student, and living on unemployment wages. We did not have the funds or insurance to birth more children. Now I KNOW how babies get here...heard that speech years ago ;) , but somewhere between muddled mommy brains and crazy calendar days we got pregnant.


Second-- I can't say I wasn't excited, because I was! I was ready for another darling newborn to cuddle with, but mixed in that sweet rejoicing was the fear and anxiety streaming with a million "what if " questions.


Now skip ahead to the anatomy ultrasound. I wasn't the only one holding my breath as we were forced to listen to the tech analyze every aspect of our healthy baby but what was between the legs. With 2 boys "under the belt," I was READY for a girl. I longed for ruffle-bum pants, laced trimmed fancies, and a splash of pink. So upon declaration that we were indeed going to have a girl, I was thrilled!
My initial 20 week ultrasound revealed placenta previa which  basically meant I would receive another ultra sound at 36 weeks to determine If I would need a c-section or not.


BOTH ultra sounds never showed the true identity of what was to come. I REALLY wish I had called into our local baby consultants... Rick and Bubba. Radio personalities that more often than not--guess right! I thought of it often, but never dialed into their expertise.


Scorching summer days came and went just as my due date did and I scoured the Internet for natural (post due date) inducing labor ideas. I made my list and started at the top, skipping the gross or obviously pointless ideas.  Nothing worked folks...

No comments: