Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Pottery Barn Look-A-Like

     You know when you find the piece of furniture that you just have to have. Maybe its simply a picture frame so you can finally put up a wedding picture 4 years into your marriage or maybe its a comfy rocking chair that will log hours of enjoyment while your children are young.  I wouldn't say this was that intense but mostly it came from desperation.

     Typically you buy a mattress and bed frame around the same time when moving up (or down) in size. Being pregnant brought out the "Princess and the Pea" irritations of our queen size mattress. Tim caved and we invested in the wonderfully spacious king size mattress and decided we would hold off on a frame until we found something that would fit and be functional in our small bedroom. Now I love LOVE to look through my Pottery Barn catalog. Its always sparking creative ideas that inevitably lead me to Hobby Lobby (40% coupon in hand of course). This time around it was a $2000 bed with functional AND adorable baskets for drawers. VIOLA. I eagerly showed it to Tim who laughed and said " I can make that for 200 bucks. We are NOT buying it." So I pouted a good 10 seconds and moved on with life. 

     Well Life doesn't schedule in free time as often as one would appreciate and so we continued to sleep on the floor.  After I lost count of being woken each morning with dog slobber and toddler pouncing, I had had enough. ENOUGH! I consulted my designer and woodworking father-in-law who glanced at my magazine page I had kept plastered to my fridge for several months and made me a list of supplies I would need. 

     With his expertise and patience, I assisted in cutting, sanding, staining, and building our king size bed. YES I got to use the power tools, saws included. YES It was 150 degrees outside. YES I love the smell of fresh cut wood. It was meant to be... And in case there is a skeptic or 2 out there, I HAVE PROOF!


After cutting the birch down to length, we worked on the slats that would serve as support.


 Sanding each piece down before staining.

Staining with the help of my cousin Sarah

3 baskets on each side and 1 on the end. I cannot reveal the top of the bed...Its currently occupied with clean laundry.

p.s. I think the grand total was exactly around $150.00

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

woohoo! Way to go! That is so awesome that you did that- and for such an amazing price! I am the same way with Pottery Barn: drool over the pics, but then I have to throw out the magazine before the envy starts :)