Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

How to make Chores fun

Even now I can here my mother's voice telling me, as a child, that I could make chores "as fun as I want them to be." Of course I listened closely, rolled my eyes, and stomped off to grumble my way through toilet scrubbing and bookshelf dusting. NOW as an adult and Biblically-minded wife and mother, the list of chores only grows longer and more tedious. I want to pass on a bit of my mother's advice to my children. Often this is best shown by example. 

Today I needed to wash our flea invested dogs. UGH-UGH-UGH! I also needed to blast way spiderwebs, dead bugs, and leaves that had accumulated on our outside toys. Oh! And wash the porch and water the flowers. I dressed the boys in fast drying clothes and we headed outside for our water party. Since we live with Alabama summer,  we must stay hydrated to beat the sticky clingy heat that even a shady tree can't chase away.  So we brought along...

Ice cold water (arrangement by Samuel)

I planted David somewhere safe 

And proceeded to wash the dogs. I do NOT have pictures because it was an ugly mess. I tether each dog to the tree and make a soapy mess all over the driveway as I wash them down. Upon release of their captivity they both promptly go roll in the grass to remove the nice smelling flea and tick soap I've used. Hopefully I've killed the army of unwelcome pests. 

Then Samuel "helped" me wash down all of the toys. His giggles were worth his impeccable aim as he showered me with cold hose water.

The giggles could have been due to his mom shrieking and running while shielding the camera.. 

Mia helped dry the toys while Dakota stayed far away from a possible re-bathing.

I then reacquired the water hose and doused the plants, porch, and Samuel. We finished off by filling up the pool and came in for an AC break and lunch. I'd say today's chores were worth the gritty wet mess the kitchen floor now displays.

No comments: