Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Spotlight on Little D


Personalities are a shew in from birth. We don't see the whole picture, but God knit each of us in the womb to be unique and special. David took 18 hours to get here and that same lax-a-daze attitude still persists. It works in his favor and against him. He loathes moving fast, picking up toys, or going to sleep-- be it nap OR bedtime. He isn't too tainted when big bro swats a toy, little bro is announcing he is overdue on a diaper change, or is introduced to new friends or a new environment. He is also a magnet to mud puddles, specially when he is in his Sunday Best. Thankfully we have a good investment in rubber boots. I relish the thought that when I grow old and he flies the coop, I'll look back and chuckle. Memories of a boy who was never able to hide, emotions or whatever he ate at his last meal encrusted above his lip or swiped across his cheek. Which brings me to the point of this post...

Tonight, David did not want to go to sleep. Whining, requests for a drink, muffled kicks on the wall, teasing big brother, and playing with forbidden toys. Tick-ticking off the minutes and frustrating his exhaustive loving parents. I finally gave in and chose to rock my toddler and his bulky blanket. If orchestrated by David, he would be rocked every night. It's his secret vice as sure as a caramel white chocolate latte is mine. If not for endless dirty dishes, oatmeal encrusted highchairs, carpets pleading for a vacuum, and crumpled clean laundry long overdue for a home, I would gladly indulge such treats on a more regular basis. 
 I attempt to fold him into the confines of the rocking chair armrests. I relish stroking his blonde silky hair. But my baby child has grown.
His legs cascade down my legs. His head feels heavy nestled in the crook of my arm. His droopy eyelids and chit chat give away his age. We rock and his smug smile never disappears. Eventually I give up and tuck him back in to bed awake but relaxed. Maybe it will usher him into dreamland soon. I'll have double dish duty in the morn. It was worth it.

I know I KNOW, they wont be young forever.


No comments: